What do you do when your life gets turned upside down? Mario DeMatteo’s life was turned upside down in more ways than one when he suddenly became a quadriplegic. It was tragedy, to be sure. But it turned out to be the thing that drew Mario closer to God and set his life on a new trajectory publishing graphic novels that tell the stories of the scriptures in a sci-fi universe. Listen as Mario shares about how God used his tragedy then and is using his new calling now.
THIS EPISODE’S HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE:
- Mario had a tragic accident in which he dove into a shallow swimming pool and became a quadriplegic.
- While in the hospital, a friend brought him a Silver Surfer comic book, at which point he fell in love with comics.
- It was as a result of his accident that Mario grew in his relationship with Jesus.
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl was a formative book that Mario read in the early months after his accident.
- Mario describes how he went from merely loving comic books to creating his own graphic novel, a science fiction version of the Apostle Paul.
- Mario had to invest his own money into this project. Even though some said he should put his money into other more “spiritual” projects, he felt called to invest in his graphic novel.
- Mario has gotten wonderful feedback from people who have purchased his graphic novel.
- People sometimes push back on the sci-fi aspect of the graphic novel.
- Mario is now working on a second graphic novel titled Peter, which focuses on the life of Jesus through Peter’s eyes.
- Mario shares about his rhythms and practices that keep him close to Jesus.
- After reading The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron, Mario began journaling first thing in the morning.
- You can order Mario’s graphic novel at his website, http://www.beartruthcollection.com
RELEVANT RESOURCES AND LINKS:
- Mario DeMatteo
- “Paul: The Apostle” Graphic Novel
- Books mentioned