In this episode, Trevor Lee discusses the importance of getting past the ministry model that just tries to get people through our discipleship programs. Instead, we need a model that values the uniqueness and inherent worth of each person. We also talked a lot about suffering. And we talked about the part suffering plays—ironically!—in the healing of the world.
THIS EPISODE’S HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE:
- Trevor Lee is a Development Representative with Made to Flourish and host of Speak in the Suffering podcast.
- The most formative book Trevor has red is A Failure of Nerve by Edwin Friedman.
- Trevor learned through Made to Flourish that the work of every person is sacred and is a participation in the mission of God.
- The mission of Made to Flourish is to help pastors bridge the gap between Sunday and Monday for their congregations.
- Made to Flourish is focused on equipping and forming pastors to walk their people to live for the good of the world in their places of work and home.
- There is no inherent distinction between sacred and secular, between clergy and laity.
- A great idea is to do interviews with people about their work in the worship gatherings. Trevor got mixed reviews when he did this in his church.
- The mission of Trevor’s former church was worded like this: “Participating with God in the renewal of all things, and people in particular.”
- The mission involves evangelism, but it points toward something even bigger—the renewal of everything.
- Trevor defines shalom as everything being as God intended.
- God wants people to be made whole.
- God wants the harmony of all things.
- Suffering plays a unique part in the fulfillment of God’s mission. God uses suffering in profoundly redemptive ways that nothing can replace.
- Trevor shares about the challenges he faced in his last congregation.
- Embracing our suffering can help us move through the pain and into healing on the other side.
- Markus’ experience of suffering changed the way he thinks about what really matters in ministry.
- Markus suggests that organizations like Made to Flourish and Flourish San Diego want to help pastors humanize their people.
- The key quality a pastor needs to help people flourish is humility.
- You can find out more about Made to Flourish at https://www.madetoflourish.org/
RELEVANT RESOURCES AND LINKS
- Speak in the Suffering podcast
- Books mentioned:
- Made to Flourish
- To leave a review of Spiritual Life and Leadership:
Links to Amazon are affiliate links. If you make a purchase through any of these links, I’ll receive a small commission–which will help pay for the Spiritual Life and Leadership podcast! 🙂