What happens when a couple of Hawaiian fisherman hit King Kamehameha over the head with a canoe paddle so hard that the paddle breaks? You get the Law of the Splintered Paddle.
THIS EPISODE’S HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE:
- While on vacation in Hawaii, Markus came across a figure of King Kamehameha at a gift shop.
- Markus got curious about King Kamehameha, so he did some Google research.
- King Kamehameha is known for unifying the Hawaiian Islands about two hundred years ago.
- Markus tells the story of the Law of the Splintered Paddle.
- The Law of the Splintered Paddle, instituted by King Kamehameha was intended to protect the weak and powerless from predators.
- The Law of the Splintered Paddle and the way in which it was instituted, are a reflection of shalom—even though King Kamehameha was not a Christian.
- Where in your life do you see shalom emerging? How can you support it? Are you called to participate in it?
RELEVANT RESOURCES AND LINKS
- (Full-disclosure: I haven’t read any of these, but they look interesting and seem to have mostly four- and five-star reviews on Amazon)
- Timeline Hawaii: An Illustrated Chronological History of the Islands by Daniel Harrington and Bennett Hymer
- The Hawaiian Monarchy by Allan Seiden
- Hawaii by James A Michener
- (A historical novel. Again, haven’t read this one, but if it’s anything like the other Michener novels I’ve read, I’m sure it’s great—and I’m gonna put this on my “to read” list!)
Links to Amazon are affiliate links. If you make a purchase through any of these links, I’ll receive a small commission–which will help pay for the Spiritual Life and Leadership podcast! 🙂